Cemetery of the Roman Catholic Parish of St. John the Baptist in Nowy Dwór
Cemetery of the Roman Catholic Parish of St. John the Baptist in Nowy Dwór, founded in the beginning of the 19th century on the plan of a irregular polygon. Situated in the north-eastern part of the city, about 300 meters from the church. Covers the area of about 4 ha. It was expanded at least twice, first in 1955, due to the efforts of Fr. Zenon Siwicki. It is surrounded by a wall from late 20th century, has a gate from 1911 built due to the efforts of Fr. Hilary Daniłowicz (as stated the inscription on the gate: FR. H. D. 1911); another gate from the second half of the 20th century. There are mostly individual gravestones and family cenotaphs. The oldest gravestone from 1852, of Paulina Eynarowicz – it stands near the chapel and is a beautiful octagonal cast iron obelisk crowned with a cross with profiled panels and an inscription plaque topped with a lancet arch with tracery, reading: HERE LIES/ THE BODY OF/ RESTING IN PEACE/ P..OL..Y/ OF THE GRĄBCZEWSKI FAMILY/ CZA.../ FROM THE FIRST MARRIAGE/ EYNAROWICZ/ PASSED AWAY/ ON 8TH OCTOBER 1852/ LIVED 68 YEARS/ and on the side panel: /ASKS FOR A SIGH TO GOD/ MAY SHE REST/ IN PEACE (this rare type of a gravestone can also be found in Korycin, although incomplete, and – beyond the Biebrza region – in Grodno: dedicated to Tekla Parczewska from 1846). There is also a granite gravestone crowned with an iron cross, belonging to Józef Dziełak, who died in 1862 (inscription illegible), a gravestone – a granite slab dedicated to Antonina Bańkowska (of the house Strzemeski) CITIZEN/ ANTONINA OF THE HOUSE STRZEMESKI/ BAŃKOWSKA/ LIVED 66 YEARS/ DIED ON 9TH APRIL/ 1871; an incomplete gravestone with a cast iron cross belonging to Fr. Józef Gałecki, d. 20.11.1875 FATHER/ JÓZEF GAŁECKI/ BORN ON 11TH APRIL 1812/ DIED ON 20TH NOVEMBER 1875/ THIS GRAVESTONE WAS FOUNDED BY THE CARING/ NIECE OF JÓZEF GAŁECKI; an incomplete cast iron gravestone reading: HERE LIES/ THE BODY OF ALEKSANDER/ AND EMILJA/ TOMASZEWSKI/ DIED ON 25TH DECEMBER/ 1880/ PEACE/ TO THEIR SHADOWS; a cast iron gravestone reading: HERE LIES THE BODY/ OF MIKOŁAJ SZYMAŃSKI/ LIVED 66 YEARS/ DIED ON 4TH APRIL 1880/ MAY HIS SOUL REST/ IN ETERNAL PEACE/ THIS MEMORIAL/ WAS FOUNDED BY HIS WIFE MARYANNA SZYMAŃSKA; a cast iron gravestone from Sztabin Steelworks: THIS GRAVESTONE WAS PLACED/ IN MEMORY OF/ THE SOULS OF ANTONI/ AND THE ENTIRE KUC/ FAMILY LIVED/ 66 YEARS DIED 3RD JANUARY/ 1878/ I ASK/ PASSERS-BY/ FOR 3 HAIL MARYS/ FOUNDER A./KUC 1883. The mortuary chapel of the Eynarowicz family was built in 1903 by Kazimierz Eynarowicz. It is a neoclassical structure, built on a rectangular plan. It is made of bricks and covered with a double pitched roof. The front elevation divided into three parts by four pilasters, with doors in the middle; the side elevations divided by pilasters; there are multi-tile windows on the central axis. There is a tympanum crowned with a stepped attic, with a circular recess and a gentry coat of arms, underneath a plaque reading: MORTUARY CHAPEL/ OF THE EYNAROWICZ FAMILY/ BUILT BY/ KAZIMIERZ EYNAROWICZ/ IN 1903/ MAY THE SOULS OF ALL LYING HERE REST IN PEACE/ below, another plaque: WINCENTY/ EYNAROWICZ/ GENTRYMAN OF THE GRODNO GOVERNORATE/ BORN 9TH JANUARY 1809/ DIED IN GRODNO/ ON 30TH DECEMBER 1856; to the right there are two plaques reading: TADEUSZ EYNAROWICZ/ GENTRYMAN OF THE GRODNO GOVERNORATE/ LIVED 54 YEARS/ DIED NEAR LUBLIN/ 13TH/26TH JUNE 1902; below: KAZIMIERZ EYNAROWICZ/ GENTRYMAN OF THE GRODNO GOVERNORATE/ LIVED 62 YEARS/ DIED IN KUDRAWKA/ 21ST/8TH JUNE 1908. The plaque on the left: TEODORA EYNAROWICZ OF THE HOUSE BOREWICZ/ LIVED 45 YEARS/ DIED IN KUDRAWKA/ 28TH MAY 1861. The chapel was devastated by the Red Army and renovated in the 1980s due to the efforts of parishioners of Nowy Dwór. There are also over 200 historic gravestones.