Cemetery of the Roman Catholic Parish of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary in Giełczyn
Cemetery of the Roman Catholic Parish of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary in Giełczyn, founded in early 19th century on a rectangular plan. Situated by the road from Gać to Giełczyn, about 1 km from the Giełczyn church. Area of about 0.7 ha. Surrounded by a stone wall with a late-19th-century gate. The oldest gravestone dates back to 1883 and belongs to the Siulborski family. It is a stone pedestal surmounted with an openwork cast iron cross with acanthus and tracery motif, and winged angel heads. In the upper part of the vertical beam there is a chalice with Host, and below – a small passion cross. The horizontal beam has engraved emblems of the Blessed Virgin and in the lower part there are Decalogue tablets symbolising the Old Testament. There is also a plaque with an inscription and the heads of a man, an ox, a lion and an eagle – symbolising the evangelists (New Testament). This is one of the few so iconographically rich crosses found in the Biebrza Valley (see: Dolistowo Stare), a simple inscription: MICHAŁ ANIELA/ MARJANNA/ SULBORSKI/ 1883/ MAY THEIR SOULS REST IN PEACE. There are many cast iron crosses on stone pedestals. Some historic gravestones, often destroyed and incomplete, are stored in the corner of the cemetery.