The Royal Park of Kalvarija
formed at the end of the nineteenth century on the southwestern part of the town as a place for recreation. The monument to the Lithuanian Mother which stands here is the only of the kind in Lithuania. It was built in 1935 and stood until 1950 when was demolished, partially broken and burried in the ground by the Soviets. In 1989, just before Lithuania regained independence, the monument was dug out and restored. On the 7th of May the same year, in commemoration of Mother‘s Day, it was rebuilt and consecrated in the previous place.